Harrington, Carla. Teacher for Alexander County Public Schools.
All geometric vocabulary terms and concepts
Grade Levels: 6th – 8th
NCTM Principles and Standards for School Mathematics:
• precisely describe, classify, and understand relationships among types of two- and three-dimensional objects using their defining properties;
• understand relationships among the angles, side lengths, perimeters, areas, and volumes of similar objects;
• create and critique inductive and deductive arguments concerning geometric ideas and relationships, such as congruence, similarity, and the Pythagorean relationship.
Materials: Handout listing required terms and concepts
This activity idea was given to me by a seasoned teacher for Alexander County Public Schools. Students will be asked to complete a Geometry Vocabulary Project. As students encounter new vocabulary and geometric concepts, they should note them in their notebooks. Students will be given a required list of terminology and concepts to include. (As the school year progresses, teacher will want to revise the list to suit the material covered.)
1. Students will be given a list of required vocabulary terms and concepts to include in their notebook.
2. Students will be required to list the word and its definition, as well as include a picture to illustrate.
3. Terms/Concepts marked with an * require additional instructions. Students will need to refer to the handout for complete directions.
4. Since this is an independent assignment, students will need to be periodically reminded to be working on it. The teacher may want to allot the last few minutes of class for students to add the present day’s terminology information and/or include it as part of the day’s homework assignment.
Attachment: Worksheet/Activity Student Page
• Geometry Vocabulary Project Handout